Blueberry Pecan Brittle Pie





I dedicate today’s post to the power of “pie-crastinating.”

For the last three days, I’ve had on my agenda (my to-do list, as they say), to write to articles. I fancy the topics, as I chose them myself, but I just haven’t been in the mood. I’ve been finding myself directing my attention and energy anywhere and everywhere – except to those articles.
So, this morning I attended a yoga class. 


This afternoon, I “pie-crastinated,” or “procrastibaked!”

 

It’s a thing.


And I think I’ll do it again and again.

 

… and … so is THIS! Blueberry Pecan Brittle Pie 

Blueberry Pecan Brittle Pie 

Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
8 Tbs. butter, ice cold and cubed into 1″ pieces
1 large egg
1 Tbs. white vinegar
2-3 Tbs. ice cold water

 

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 

 

Combine the flour, butter, egg, and vinegar in the bowl of a large food processor. 

 

Pulse until crumbly. 

 

Slowly add the ice water, just a touch at a time (you may not need all of it), until the dough is beady.


Transfer to parchment paper and form into a mound with your hands. 

 

Top with another sheet of parchment and roll out into an 11″ round.


Transfer, again, to a pie plate. Fold under and pinch the edges for a decorative effect.

 

Pecan Brittle:
1 cup chopped pecans
4 Tbs. butter
1/3 cup white sugar

 

Toast the pecans over low heat (dry), until they begin to smell toasted.


Add the butter and stir constantly.


Add the sugar and stir again, until all the nuts are evenly coated. There will be lots of extra butter.


Transfer EVERYTHING to parchment paper and allow to “dry” for 30-45 minutes.

 

Blueberry Filling:
1 lb. fresh blueberries
1 13oz. jar 
Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour

 

Heat the blueberries and preserves together over medium heat. Stir constantly and wait for the berries to release their juices – about 5 minutes. 

 

Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 3 minutes more, until the mixture is nice and stiff.

 

Assembly:
Pour the Blueberry Filling into the prepared pie dough and bake for about 25 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.


Break apart the pecan brittle and top the blueberry pie with chunks once the pie is cool enough to handle.

 

Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream, of course!

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts